Ministry of Food Industry, Commodity and Regional Development (M-FICORD) was initially established in 2017 as Ministry of Modernisation of Agriculture, Native Land and Regional Development (MANRED) due to the merging of three (3) ministries - Ministry of Land Development (KKT), Ministry of Rural Development (KPLB) and Ministry of Modernisation of Agriculture (MOMA).
The ministry was renamed as Ministry of Modernisation of Agriculture And Regional Development in 2022 as per gazetted in Sarawak Government Gazette Part 2, Vol. 78, No. 6, dated 21st January 2022.
On 21 September 2022, the ministry was again renamed as Ministry of Food Industry, Commodity and Regional Development (M-FICORD), following the announcement made by The Right Honourable Premier of Sarawak, Datuk Patinggi Tan Sri (Dr) Abang Haji Abdul Rahman Zohari Bin Tun Datuk Abang Haji Openg during the Congress on Sustainable Agriculture and Food Security (COSAFS) 2022.
VISION & MISSION
M-FICORD is the ministry responsible in overseeing the development of agriculture and rural economy in Sarawak. The ministry envision Sarawak to have an advanced agriculture sector and rural economy by 2030. To achieve this, we aim to transform and sustain the agriculture sector and rural economy in Sarawak through modernisation and commercialisation.
In line with the Sarawak government’s aspiration to be a region with high income and advanced economy by 2030, M-FICORD’s role is to ensure development of agriculture focuses on commercialising the sector through greater collaboration with global, domestic and community partnership, driven by data and innovation.
Under the leadership of the Minister, Dato Sri Dr Stephen Rundi Anak Utom; supported the two (2) Deputy Ministers, Datuk Dr Haji Abdul Rahman bin Haji Ismail and Datuk Martin Ben; and the ministry's Permanent Secretary Sirai Daha, the ministry also aspire to transform Sarawak into a Net Food Exporter by 2030.
DEPARTMENTS & AGENCIES
The departments and agencies - state and federal currently under the purview and watching brief of M-FICORD are:
- Department of Agriculture Sarawak (DOA)
- Department of Veterinary Services Sarawak (DVSS)
- Sarawak Land Consolidation & Rehabilitation Authority (SALCRA)
- Sarawak Land Development Board (SLDB)
- State Farmers' Organisation (SFO)
- Sago and Nipah Development Board
- Sarawak Rubber Industry Board
- Department of Irrigation & Drainage Sarawak (Rural Infrastructure)
- Land & Survey Department (Native Land)
Federal Agencies (watching brief)
- Beras Corporation Sdn. Bhd. (BERNAS)
- Federal Agriculture Marketing Authority (FAMA)
- Fisheries Development Authorities of Malaysia (LKIM)
- Integrated Agriculture Development Area (IADA) - Batang Lupar, Kalaka-Saribas-Betong dan Samarahan
- Malaysia Agriculture Research & Development Institute (MARDI)
- Department of Fisheries (DOF)
- Malaysia Pineapple Industry Board (MPIB)
- Malaysia Pepper Board (MPB)
- Malaysia Palm Oil Board (MPOB)
- Malaysian Rubber Board (MRB)
- Rubber Industry Smallholders Development Authority (RISDA)
- FELCRA Berhad Sarawak
- Federal Land Development Authority (FELDA)