Ministry of Food Industry, Commodity and Regional Development (M-FICORD) was initially established in 2017 as Ministry of Modernisation of Agriculture, Native Land and Regional Development (MANRED) due the merging of three (3) ministries - Ministry of Land Development (KKT), Ministry of Rural Development (KPLB) and Ministry of Modernisation of Agriculture (MOMA). The ministry was renamed as Ministry of Modernisation of Agriculture And Regional Development in 2022 as per gazetted in Sarawak Government Gazette Part 2, Vol. 78, No. 6, dated 21st January 2022. On 21 September 2022, the ministry was renamed as Ministry of Food Industry, Commodity and Regional Development (M-FICORD), agreed upon by The Right Honourable Premier of Sarawak, Datuk Patinggi Tan Sri Dr. Abang Haji Abdul Rahman Zohari Bin Tun Datuk Abang Haji Openg.
M-FICORD is the ministry responsible in spearheading the development of agriculture and rural communities in Sarawak as portrayed by its slogan - Empowering Communities, Enhancing Growth, Spearheading Development. M-FICORD aim to transform and sustain the agriculture and rural economy through modernisation and commercialization.
Under the leadership of its current Minister, The Honourable Dato Sri Dr Stephen Rundi Anak Utom; Deputy Ministers, The Honourable Datuk Dr Haji Abdul Rahman Bin Haji Ismail and The Honourable Tuan Maclaine @ Martin Ben; and the Ministry's Permanent Secretary Sirai Daha, the ministry aims to make Sarawak the Net Food Exporter by 2030.
Overall, there are 23 state and federal agencies currently under the watching brief of M-FICORD :
- Department of Agriculture Sarawak (DOA)
- Department of Veterinary Services Sarawak (DVSS)
- Sarawak Land Consolidation & Rehabilitation Authority (SALCRA)
- Sarawak Land Development Board (SLDB)
- State Farmers' Organisation (SFO)
- Department of Irrigation & Drainage Sarawak (Rural Infrastructure)
- Land & Survey Department (Native Land)
- Beras Corporation Sdn. Bhd. (BERNAS)
- Federal Agriculture Marketing Authority (FAMA)
- Fisheries Development Authorities of Malaysia (LKIM)
- Integrated Agriculture Development Area (IADA) - Batang Lupar, Kalaka-Saribas-Betong dan Samarahan
- Malaysia Agriculture Research & Development Institute (MARDI)
- Department of Fisheries (DOF)
- Malaysia Pineapple Industry Board (MPIB)
- Malaysia Pepper Board (MPB)
- Malaysia Palm Oil Board (MPOB)
- Malaysian Rubber Board (MRB)
- Rubber Industry Smallholders Development Authority (RISDA)
- FELCRA Berhad Sarawak
- Federal Land Development Authority (FELDA)